ADSM-L

Re: Problem with the Backup! Serious!

2000-05-18 10:57:52
Subject: Re: Problem with the Backup! Serious!
From: Gary Ison <Gary.Ison AT MAIL.STATE.KY DOT US>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 10:57:52 -0400
Robert,

        Did you make any changes to the client options that would have
increased the backup volume?  Probably not, so were there any network
problems (or changes)?  The client error logs would be a good place to find
these; the server activity log may also indicate sessions being dropped and
restarted.

        As for the server up time, I don't ever bring it down unless there
is a general host IPL or a problem with the server itself.  I have run a
couple of months at a time without restarting the server (I have OS/390 MVS
and AIX servers).

        Yes, problems can arise when all these processes are active at the
same time.  You will get database thrashing and page contention which will
slow down the server processing in general; sometimes client sessions will
be terminated due to deadlock situations.  Try to schedule the expiration
and reclamation on alternate days and outside the client backup windows.

        Another factor that could be in play is long running and intensive
SQL queries.  They cannot be terminated until their processing is completed
and the also contend for database space and server CPU cycles.  Were any of
these type SQL processes in execution during this time?  The activity log
should indicate that someone triggered an SQL select, if this is the case.

        Did you experience any database backups during this time?  Sometimes
large, uncommitted  transactions will get "hung" in the recovery log and
cause the database to backup on the automatic trigger.  Look at he vol
history file for database backup volumes or the server log for backup
messages.

        Gary L. Ison
        Governor's Office for Technology
        101 Cold Harbor Drive
        Frankfort, Ky.   40601
        Phone:  (502) 564-8724
            Fax:  (502) 564-6856
E-mail: Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky DOT us <mailto:Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky
DOT us>