ADSM-L

AW: Archiving/Retrieving

2000-05-18 05:48:16
Subject: AW: Archiving/Retrieving
From: sal Salak Juraj <sal AT KEBA.CO DOT AT>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 11:48:16 +0200
Hi,

here my few thoughts:

1) for long-term storage and manual control over tapes,
check tsm 3.7 and its ability to create off-line tapes.
I believe it is named "rapid recovery" osr so.

2)>> These are very large databases and there
 >> isn't enough room to
 >> store that many versions in the library
 >> so I want to archive the data and
 >> remove the tapes.

You can incr backup your databases using different
management class as you use for your common files.
Let this management class point to separate storage pool.
This gives you same ability to checkout tapes from library
which only contain databaes
as you can do it with archives.

3) >> unfortunately if the file is deleted from
>> the server so is it also removed from ADSM.
Yes, but you can specify in your managemnt class
number of inactive versions as well and
thus guarantee that your files will stay in
*sm storage for 5 years even if deleted from original
location.

Neverthless, using archive can be simpler/better than 2) and 3),
but there are alternatives.

regards
Salak Juraj

KEBA AG