ADSM-L

Re: Question regard E tape

2000-05-17 18:22:17
Subject: Re: Question regard E tape
From: Trevor Foley <Trevor.Foley AT BTFINANCIALGROUP DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 08:22:17 +1000
Hi Ming,

There are 2 changes with the 3590 'E' drives that are now shipping. The first
is to write 256 tracks rather than 128. This change does not require a change
in media. Although the 'E' drive will not write to a tape in 128-track mode.
You will need to cycle these tapes though a scratch phase ie move the data off.
When they next get used they will be written in 256-track mode.

The second change is the support for 'K' cartridges. As I understand it, any
new 3590 'E' drive and any 'B' to 'E' upgrade kit manufactured since around
March will support the 'K' cartridges. This is a more difficult situation to
handle and I haven't really though about it too much.

We are also about to upgrade our 'B' drives to 'E's and by my calcualations we
won't have to buy any more cartridges for around 12 months to the doubling of
capacity.

regards,

Trevor