ADSM-L

Re: TSM backing up NAS appliances

2000-05-17 08:29:01
Subject: Re: TSM backing up NAS appliances
From: Angelo DeAngelis <Angelo_DeAngelis AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:29:01 -0400
Some information for the interested.    These features will be announced this
summer along with other features in TSM4.1...

  See your IBM or Tivoli Rep. and see these new features are Planet Tivoli this
Spring.

     Tivoli Data Protection for Network Attach Storage
Tivoli Data Protection for Network Attach Storage uses the framework services of
the Tivoli Storage Manager in combination with the industry standard Network
Data Management Protocol (NDMP) to deliver a fully integrated solution for
backup and restore of Network Attach Storage (NAS).

NAS systems are characterized as thin, proprietary operating systems hosting a
large amount of storage. These systems are connected to a TCP/IP network. The
sole function of the thin OS is to manage access to the storage via a variety of
network data access protocols. These include Network File System (NFS), Common
Internet File System (CIFS) and others.

In order for external data managers like Tivoli Data Protection for Network
Attach Storage to gain access to the data for backup and restore operations, NAS
systems externalize NDMP. Data Protection for Network Attach Storage is a
specialized client to Tivoli Storage Manager that interfaces with NDMP.

NDMP version 3 is the latest specification and is, as yet, not formally
completed. It allows for full backup only. Due to the volume of data that most
NAS systems contain, most implementations of NDMP backup are done to local
attached tape media.

NDMP version 3 allows for file level restore operations from the full backup
image.

     Tivoli Data Protection for Mobile
Tivoli Data Protection for Mobile uses the framework services of the Tivoli
Storage Manager in combination with patented adaptive byte and block-level
differencing technology to deliver a fully integrated solution for internet
based backup and restore of mobile computers.

The Tivoli Storage Manager backup/archive client includes Adaptive Differencing.
Tivoli Data Protection for Mobile uses Adaptive Differencing to reduce network
bandwidth requirements to an absolute minimum. Additionally, because many mobile
computers are backed up across unsecured internet links, Data Protection for
Mobile also enables encryption of the data stream prior to being transmitted.

The architectural choice to include Adaptive Differencing in a common client
code base creates two very important advantages for users of Data Protection for
Mobile.

First, Adaptive Differencing and data encryption functions are made available
across a wide variety of client platforms including PC and UNIX systems. This is
in sharp contrast to the rest of the mobile backup market that focuses primarily
on Microsoft Windows 95 and 98 operating systems, ignoring Windows NT and 2000,
Linux, Apple MacOS and other mobile platforms. In addition, the heterogeneous
nature of Adaptive Differencing means that administrators can choose to utilize
the technology on server platforms in addition to mobile platforms.

Second, administrators may confidently load and manage a single agent on all
client machines, whether mobile, desktop or server, and then dynamically choose
the appropriate functions to enable.

Regards,
Angelo DeAngelis/Tivoli Systems
Tivoli Storage Management
 National SE Support Team
 (609) 876-5053

Steven Bridge <ccaasub AT UCL.AC DOT UK> on 05/17/2000 06:41:20 AM