ADSM-L

Re: Elementary Question about copypools

2000-05-17 10:50:25
Subject: Re: Elementary Question about copypools
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 10:50:25 -0400
Yes, you are going to have to get some tapes into your library in SCRATCH
status.

Then you run: BACKUP STGPOOL primarypoolname copypoolname
which causes ADSM to copy stuff from the primary pool to the copy pool.

Then you check out & eject the copy pool tapes and send them away to your
vault or disaster recovery site or where ever they should go for
safekeeping.  Since ADSM knows those tapes are checked out, it won't try to
mount them anymore.
Then the next day you repeat the process.

The initial creation of the copy pool will require many tapes until you
"catch up", and get all the data copied.  (You can cancel the process and
start up again as many times as you need to, if you are running short of
scratch tapes.)

After the first time, ADSM knows (from checking the data base) what data is
new in the primary pool and hasn't been copied to the copy pool yet, so you
will only need enough scratch tapes each day to copy the previous day's new
backup & archive data.

So ideally, each night you get new backup data into the primary pool, and
copy it to one or two tapes for the copy pool, and the operators check
out/eject them the next morning to send offsite.

An alternative, if you are short on library tapes:  if you have external
tape drives available, you can use those to create your copy pool.  Primary
and copy pool do not have to be the same media type, as the copy pool tapes
are NOT exact images of the primary tapes.  Trade off is manual mounting of
copy pool tapes on external drives, vs. the hassle of entering/ejecting the
copy pool tapes in the robotic library.

Hope this helps...
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert