ADSM-L

Help with FILE device class

2000-05-16 17:09:31
Subject: Help with FILE device class
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 16:09:31 -0500
ADSM 3.1.2.55
AIX 4.3.2.0

Here's what I'm trying to do:
Create on a mirrored 16.5 GB disk a FILE device class to be shared by three
storage pools used for reclamation.

I defined the  MountLimit = 100 and MaxCap = 165 MB for a total of 16.5 GB.

For each storage pool, I set MaxScratch = 90, intending that no one pool grab
more than 90% of the device class.

As I understand the feature, that should allow the three pools to allocate
165-MB volumes on a first-come, first-served basis up to a maximum volume count
of 100, which fits within the disk capacity.

Instead, with two pools using the device class, I eventually got "write-error"
reports caused by a disk full condition,  When I queried the device class there
were 105 volumes, which would indeed exceed the capacity of the disk.

Is there a way to get this feature to work the way I intend?  If I have to
allocate 1/3 of the disk to each pool, each will get only 5.1 GB which is a
waste of disk space if I only have one reclamation process running.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Tab