ADSM-L

Re: Need Information on Bare Metal Restore Vendor

2000-05-09 17:35:23
Subject: Re: Need Information on Bare Metal Restore Vendor
From: Dan Jennings <dan.jennings AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 14:35:23 -0700
I spoke to a rep from The Kernel Group last week about their
bare metal restore product.  The *IX versions for AIX, Solaris
and HP/UX are available, and they plan to beta the NT BMR
product in August or September. We weren't really so much
interested in the *IX stuff, as we use AIX and are very
dilligent about keeping app data out of the rootvg to keep
the mksysb sizes manageable, and use ADSM to backup the
non-OS data.

From what I understood during our conversation, they use a
boot server to respond to BOOTP requests from systems
requiring a BMR activity.  The boot server delivers a
image that gets the system on the air, partitions/formats
the drive(s) and starts an ADSM client restore.  The rep
was not sure if the NT recovery would be able to use the
boot server over the network.  NT clients may have to use
boot floppies (Yech!) to get on the air to start the
restore.

TGK will be at Tivoli World, according to this sales
guy, so if any of you plan to go, you can hook up with
them for better info/timelines.

And no, I don't work for TKG, I just desperately need a
network based NT bare metal recovery solution, snd these
guys were actually able to give me a date for beta code.
Anybody get a committment from Tivoli for a similar
functionality?

Cheers,

Dan