ADSM-L

Re: TSM 3.7.2.0 NT Client Problems

2000-05-15 16:52:27
Subject: Re: TSM 3.7.2.0 NT Client Problems
From: Andy Raibeck <Andrew_Raibeck AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 13:52:27 -0700
Hi Gary,

I haven't had the chance to look at all your issues yet, but with
regard to the ARCHMC issue, the intent is that ARCHMC is issued on
a command-by-command basis, and that it is not intended for
permanent use in dsm.opt. It was allowed in dsm.opt in 3.1, but I
suspect that in 3.7 the design was shored up to go along with how
I have described it above.

For the GUI, the description appears just above the tree view. It
defaults to the value "Archive Date: mm/dd/yyyy" (with mm/dd/yyyy
being the current date), but you are free to change it. Also, you
can change the management class by clicking on the OPTIONS button
(located between the ESTIMATE and HELP buttons), checking the box
to override the management class, then choose the management class
from the drop-down list.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM/Tivoli
e-mail: andrew.raibeck AT tivoli DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Hi Larry,

        I thought I was doing pretty good with it until today.  I have found
it to be about the same as the ADSM version, but I have just stumbled on a
bug in either the server or the client - I'm not sure where yet.  It seems
the archive GUI has no entry panels for description or management class; the
only way you can specify them is in the command line form - the GUI and
client blow up if the "archm" directive is in the options file.  Luckily, we
don't do any GUI archives (yet).

        I do like the new "events" table; it can give a quick display of
exceptions without all the "select" overhead.   It doesn't seem to be all
that different above the covers.  There are more error log entries produced
by the client and other little irritants like that.  I'm more concerned
about the overall quality of the TSM code testing than anything; small bugs
like these should never get out of the developers labs and it makes me
afraid to dig too deep or some grand-daddy of a bug will really pop off.

        I'm running the 3.7 server on AIX and Os/390 MVS and they seem to
have the same issues, again above the covers.

        Gary L. Ison
        Governor's Office for Technology
        101 Cold Harbor Drive
        Frankfort, Ky.   40601
        Phone:  (502) 564-8724
            Fax:  (502) 564-6856
E-mail: Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky DOT us <mailto:Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky
DOT us>