ADSM-L

TCP/IP Transaction Controls

2000-05-11 16:09:38
Subject: TCP/IP Transaction Controls
From: Gary Ison <Gary.Ison AT MAIL.STATE.KY DOT US>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 16:09:38 -0400
Hi folks,

        Anyone have a good handle on how to control the TCP/IP packet sizes
via TSM?  I have reviewed the guides on the parameters TXNBYTELIMIT,
TXNGROUPMAX, and SELFTUNETXSIZE but they don't offer much detail.  I haven't
reviewed the tuning guide for any recommendations yet.

Most of my clients and the OS/390 MVS server (TSM 3.7.2.0) use the default
sizes for these parameters.  I recently increased one NT client (TSM
3.7.1.0) to a byte limit of 25600, the max, and my network folks tell me I'm
overrunning the clients ability to receive data which causes the client to
shut down the network connection briefly while the CPU does a catch-up.  The
network doesn't really shut down - the client system just ceases to receive
data from the NIC.

        I'm looking for some happy medium to allow the optimal throughput on
the network.  Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

        Thanks for the help.

        Gary L. Ison
        Governor's Office for Technology
        101 Cold Harbor Drive
        Frankfort, Ky.   40601
        Phone:  (502) 564-8724
            Fax:  (502) 564-6856
E-mail: Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky DOT us <mailto:Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky
DOT us>