ADSM-L

Re: Client Compression

2000-05-11 10:45:26
Subject: Re: Client Compression
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 10:45:26 -0400
> Does anyone have any numbers for Client Side compression?  Because of
> network throughput, we are looking at setting compression on the client.

The numbers vary widely with the type of data. We typically see compression by
a factor of two to three for most types of files. ADSM would report this as
compression by 50 percent to 67 percent. We have seen much higher compression
ratios for Oracle database files with allocated sizes much larger than the
actual amount of stored data. Such files contain long runs of zero bytes that
compress very effectively. We sometimes see compression ratios as high as
thirty to one. At the other extreme, we have seen client files created by gzip
get as much as forty percent larger as a result of ADSM 'compression'.