ADSM-L

Central Scheduling Query

2000-05-11 10:36:09
Subject: Central Scheduling Query
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 10:36:09 -0400
> I am currently running our ADSM Server on OS390 Mainframe (version
> 3.1.2.40). I have a mixture of clients HP, SUN, NT and Netware. I have the
> NT and Netware clients centrally scheduled and would like the same for Unix
> clients but I am unable to work out how to do this. I have read up on the
> 'preschedulcmd' but not sure if this will achieve the result. With the Unix
> backups they don't kick in until the Oracle script has completed to write
> the data out. Does anyone know of a way of doing this?

The preschedulecmd option is designed to do what you have in mind. However, it
does it so badly that I cannot recommend using the option in any production
environment. The problem is that there is no error checking. Even if the
command run by the preschedulecmd option ends with an error condition, the
scheduler process will go ahead and attempt to copy files to the ADSM server.
When I need specific commands run before and after a backup I set up a central
schedulue with action=command to run a shell script on the client system. The
shell script shuts down the database, executes a 'dsmc incremental' command,
and restarts the database. The script will send a message to our operations
staff and exit if it detects an error.