ADSM-L

GUI vs. Command Line Restore Times

2000-05-11 09:27:33
Subject: GUI vs. Command Line Restore Times
From: Gary Ison <Gary.Ison AT MAIL.STATE.KY DOT US>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:27:33 -0400
My thanks to those who responded to my prior question on this subject (sal
Salak Juraj, Bill Sherrill, and Mark Remeta).  I think their majority
consensus is the same as mine - GUIs are slower due to the nature of the
beast.  By this I refer to the negotiation and display formatting times
built into the GUI process - extra overhead that I personally find annoying.

The real cause behind my clients' slow restore time turned out to be a
networking related issue (sorry network folks, but most of these type
problems are, whether you want to admit it or not).  Someone had left the
auto negotiate turned on between an Accelar and a Bay 450 switch.  Setting
it off resulted in a performance increase of 20 times.

Thanks again folks.

        Gary L. Ison
        Governor's Office for Technology
        101 Cold Harbor Drive
        Frankfort, Ky.   40601
        Phone:  (502) 564-8724
            Fax:  (502) 564-6856
E-mail: Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky DOT us <mailto:Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky
DOT us>