ADSM-L

Re: Upgrade Oracle 7 to 8 on HP11.0

2000-05-10 09:40:55
Subject: Re: Upgrade Oracle 7 to 8 on HP11.0
From: "Lancaster, Dominic" <Dominic.Lancaster AT BIMBERI.COM DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 23:40:55 +1000
Since libobk.sl is dynamic loadable and the access to which aobpswd is
covered by
an environment location, you can have two, or more copies (at least I have
under AIX)
but I use this for testing more than anything - I suppose I'll end up doing
the same when I upgrade.

I have two thoughts

1) EBU should run on the new version of the agent (mine does under AIX),
so it's possible to have RMAN and EBU co-exist - test it and see - from
memory the
so called fixtest does not break EBU in any way

failing that, this is an outline of the technique to have 'other versions'
of
libobk in use. There is no implied warranty, your milage may vary (I do this
for
a living, you'll need to be reasonably skilled to do this), read on:

Suppose that you will move the older version to a 'temporary' home:

1)You may need to make links to the new location of libobk.sl, so
do a find first to see where it is installed (and any links)

2) copy the first installed version of libobk.sl (lets say for oracle 7)
to a seperate location (should be covered by DSMO_PSWDPATH dir but often
has a link in /usr/lib to it as well)

3) re-establish any links to libobk from point 1

4) then relink EBU (make -f ins_obackup.mk install from memory)
this then makes it non-standard, but since your going to change to the new
version for production.

Note: you may have to (and I've don't profess to know HP UX), change things
like
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or equivalent so that libobk is findable

5) change the DSMO_PSWDPATH to point to a new location, to which you have
copied
the contents of the directory pointed to by DSMO_PSWDPATH (aobpswd,
ADSMO.NODE_NAME and agent.lic are the minimum!!!!!).

6) test it, make sure EBU is happy - if there are problems, Oracle support
can help
with the re-linking (it's fairly standard though)

Now, install the newer version of libobk, Oracle RMAN etc etc,

7) Ensure that RMAN looks for the newer version, may have to relink it,
play with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or equiv to get RMAN to pick the newer version
DSMO_PSWDPATH would then become the default installation path for the agent
and then when you've upgraded/tested/whatever, you can delete the Oracle 7
versions

I hope thats enough

Dominic