ADSM-L

Re: RECLAMATION -VS- MOVE DATA

2000-05-10 14:14:59
Subject: Re: RECLAMATION -VS- MOVE DATA
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 13:14:59 -0500
Funny you should mention this...
I just happen to be right in the middle of about 40 move data's

In my situation a move data is better than a reclamation...
I am clearing some volumes that are about half full in a storage pool that I
switched from collocate=no to collocate=yes
I'm buffering the data into a diskpool...by doing this I'm keeping 4 tape
drives active moving the data to disk, then later I'll keep 4 tape drives
active moving it back to tape and over all I'll have fewer tape mounts
because when migration is moving the data back out to tape I'll only have
(aprox) 1 mount per node's data rather than 1 mount per node's data per
input tape...

all depends on what you are doing... my example above yields a lesser wall
clock time than a straight reclamation.

Dwight