ADSM-L

Re: STK ACSLS and ADSM/TSM question???

2000-05-10 14:13:10
Subject: Re: STK ACSLS and ADSM/TSM question???
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 14:13:10 -0400
You don't mention your server platform, or what tape library you are
changing FROM, so it will be hard for anybody to answer your question
exactly!

ADSM/TSM library commands do vary depending on what TYPE of libary you are
using.  The TYPES are SCSI libraries, 3494 libraries, 357x libraries, and
ACS libraries (ADSM's terminology for a library driven with ACSLS).

If you read carefully the reference doc for each command, there are notes
specific to SCSI libraries and 3494 libraries.  Mostly the doc is missing
for ACS libraries.

Here are the things I have run into:

We are AIX 4.3.2, with ADSM servers at ADSM 3.1.2.42 and TSM 3.7.1, STK 9710
libraries, ACSLS 5.3.2.

On an AIX server, you cannot specify CHECKOUT with BULK=YES for ACS
libraries.  You can only check out one volume at a time without getting a
prompt that requires a reply.  You can remove one volume at a time and
reply, or you can run your CHECKOUT with REMOVE=NO, then go to ACSLS to do
the eject.

This means MOVE DRMEDIA  with REMOVE=YES doesn't work, either.  This is not
documented, but I have fought with level 1 support on this issue and they
just say "it's not supported", period, and won't pursue it.

I get around it by running: MOVE DRMEDIA * WHEREST=MOUNTABLE REMOVE=NO
cmdfile=blah  cmd=&vol

That checks the volumes out but doesn't eject them, and writes the volsers
into a file.  I then pass the list of volsers to ACSLS to force the eject.

I can't think of anything that is funky about CHECKIN or LABEL LIBV on an
ACS library, but again, it depends on what you are changing FROM, you'll
just have to test it.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert