ADSM-L

Re: How do I know I,m getting 60 G. Compressed on 3590E's?

2000-05-09 12:44:33
Subject: Re: How do I know I,m getting 60 G. Compressed on 3590E's?
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 11:44:33 -0500
when you defined the device did you assign it an estimated capacity ???
if not then the capacity will grow with the amount of data put on the tape
until the tape is full...
and if the client sends you already compressed data you will only see 20 GB
on the tape
and (as would be expected) if they don't send you already compressed data
you will see 20-60+ GB on a tape...
shoot, my record was 600 GB on a 3590B1A tape (the straight 10 GB tape...)
but that was where they defined all the files for a data base and had
absolutely NO data in it... but the tape was holding all that existed for
that much file system space ;-)

Dwight