ADSM-L

Re: 3570 tape labeling / ADSM v2.1 dsmlabel

2000-05-04 17:26:24
Subject: Re: 3570 tape labeling / ADSM v2.1 dsmlabel
From: Ken Long <ken.long AT WHEDA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 16:26:24 -0500
Thanks for the explicit details.  One remaining question...

I'm still on ADSM v2.1 on AIX.  dsmlabel is the tool I have, and it appears to
support the -barcode and -library options, though I haven't used them.  Any
reason to suspect that my version of dsmlabel won't do this job?

Thanks... Ken

                    Steven P Roder
                    <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU DOT BU        To:     ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    FFALO.EDU>                    cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist          Subject:     Re: 3570 tape
labeling
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                    05/04/2000 01:57 PM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

> Steven, the other responses indicate that I must still use ADSM to label the
> tapes - I was under the impression I wouldn't have to.  Do you, in the same
> fashion as Lisa does in her response?

The tapes are "externally" labeled and barcoded at the factory.  One must
still label them internally.  There are two ways to do this.  Single
threaded, using adsm's label libvol command, or using as many drives as
you want via dsmlabel.  I have used both methods.

label libvol lib_name search=yes labelsource=barcode checkin=scr

/opt/IBMadsm-s/bin/dsmlabel -drive=/dev/rmt/0st,16  -drive=/dev/rmt/2st,17
  -drive=/dev/rmt/4st,18 -drive=/dev/rmt/7st,19 -library=/dev/rmt/1smc
  -search -keep -barcode

Both commands also have an overwrite option of yes or no.  I beleive the
default for both is no.  If using dsmlabel, be sure the library only has
new tapes in it (or trust overwrite=no to not relabel old tapes), and you
might want to stop the adsm server (so it does not try to use the library
at the same time as dsmlabel.

I usually fill my library with scratch tapes, label all of them with
dsmlabel, and then replace all of them with the adsm tapes.  The operators
can then checkin the tapes as scratch when needed.

Another alternative is to label them as they are needed, checking them in
from the I/O slots on top, via:

label libvol lib_name search=bulk labels=barcode checkin=scr

I hope this helps...