ADSM-L

Re: Backup DB Question

2000-05-04 15:20:26
Subject: Re: Backup DB Question
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 15:20:26 -0400
On Thu, 4 May 2000, Paul Zarnowski wrote:
> At 03:01 PM 5/4/2000 -0400, Steven P Roder wrote:
> >>     My question is quick and to the point--
> >>
> >>     When I backup the ADSM database, does the recovery log get
> >>     backed up too? If not, what am I to do??
> >
> >No.  If running in rollforward mode, it gets cleared at the end of the
> >backup.  If running in normal mode, it is not really needed for DB
> >recovery.
> >
> >Worry not.
>
> Actually, at the end of the database backup, I believe that entries in the
> recovery log which were created since the start of the backup may get
> backed up before the log is cleared.  This is from a conversation I had
> with someone at Level 2 support.  The other possibility is that the log
> entries only get cleared up to the time that the database backup started,
> meaning that any entries created after that time are left around after the
> backup completes.

I always thought it was your second senario, that it only cleared the
pages up to the start time of the backup.  I try not to allow any server
activity during the dbbackups here, by disabling client sessions, and
not running any tape operations, like migration/reclaimation.

> In either case, Steve is correct in that you don't need to worry about
> backing up the log separately.
>
> ..Paul

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)