ADSM-L

Re: 3570 tape labeling

2000-05-04 13:09:56
Subject: Re: 3570 tape labeling
From: Ken Long <ken.long AT WHEDA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 12:09:56 -0500
Steven, the other responses indicate that I must still use ADSM to label the
tapes - I was under the impression I wouldn't have to.  Do you, in the same
fashion as Lisa does in her response?

Thanks for the help, I knew I came to the right place... Ken

                    Steven P Roder
                    <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU DOT BU        To:     ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    FFALO.EDU>                    cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist          Subject:     Re: 3570 tape
labeling
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                    05/04/2000 06:51 AM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

> My understanding is that the tapes are labeled/barcoded at the factory.  If
so,
> what guarantees that I'll never receive tapes with duplicated labels?  Am I
> allowed to specify the label contents - request the labels be ABC001 to
ABC101?

No.

> Would I want to - what do other 3570 users do?

We take 'em as we get 'em.  It is only a problem for the vaulted tapes, as
it makes them hard to find in the vault.  They are hex number.  Here are a
few example of mine:

01AF50 BACKTAPE
01B938 DEPT_TAPE
1CAE79 DEPT_TAPE
171C54 OFFSITECOPY
1A89ED BACKTAPE
00D853 OFFSITECOPY
248A82 BACKTAPE
169767 DEPT_TAPE
1715E1 BACKTAPE
171F29 OFFSITECOPY
01B8C8 BACKTAPE
1CA128 OFFSITECOPY
1C6097 OFFSITECOPY
1CA2BA OFFSITECOPY
1CBA50 BACKTAPE
01AB8A BACKTAPE
019D48 OFFSITECOPY
01B676 BACKTAPE

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)