ADSM-L

Re: ILOVEYOU

2000-05-04 11:59:49
Subject: Re: ILOVEYOU
From: Sean Duffy <sduffy AT TORSEL.ALCATEL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 11:59:49 -0400
Please note this is a confirmed virus do not open it

Good Morning;

Please note...The Ontario Government has just been attacked by a virus
which propagates itself via an attachment..Once the attachment is opened,
it reads the individuals address book and sends the same email with the
virus to all recipients listed...If you receive an email with the subject
"I LOVE YOU....", DO NOT OPEN......IMMEDIATELY DELETE THIS EMAIL...

This may also be a good opportunity to update your virus list..If you have
not run live update with in the last month, please do so to obtain the most
recent virus protection..If you find that your Live Update does not work,
you can find a newer version in \\tormain01\apps\AntiVirus..double click on
the lupdate.exe file and follow the instructions...

FYI This is the latest update.

[B] ILOVEYOU VIRUS: Analysts say email virus originated in Philippines
Updated Thu 5/4/2000 10:17 EDT

By Sonya Dowsett, Bridge News
London--May 4--The "ILOVEYOU" computer virus which wreaked havoc on email
users in many parts of the world Thursday originated in Manila in the
Philippines, according to technical analysts. The virus attacks the email
application Microsoft Outlook by taking a random number and sending emails until
it reaches that number. This slows down the server leading to a complete break
down in the communications system.
* * *
The U.K.'s lower house of parliament, the House of Commons, was just one of
the high-profile institutions which has had to shut down its communications
system as a result of the virus.
The application is not a virus as such, technical analysts said, but just a
piece of code which has been programmed to send a random amount of emails.
They said there is no cure for the virus, but that it will just burn itself
out once the random number of emails has been sent.
MessageLabs, a virus control service, said it first detected "ILOVEYOU" at
0010 BST and had since removed 3.5 million copies of the virus from the 2
million emails that it scans daily.
"A fix is available now," said marketing director Jos White. "But viruses
replicate so quickly nowadays the fix has really come too late."
Websites for companies providing anti-virus software, such as Symantec and
McAfee.com, through which customers can pull down fixes for viruses, were
impossible to access during the afternoon as users flooded the network looking
for the antidote.
Telephone support lines for the companies were also jammed.
It is unclear how many companies have been affected by the virus, but
observers have speculated that it could be as much as 10% of firms, with damage
worth millions caused already throughout Europe and Asia.
Eyes will now turn to the United States, where the working day has just
begun, but with a fix for the virus already developed in Europe the spread of
the virus there could be limited, analysts say.
"It is too early to speculate on how much damage the virus will cause," said
a spokesman for the British Institute of Directors. "We are keeping a close eye
on it." End