ADSM-L

Re: New ADSM Implementation

2000-05-04 10:25:30
Subject: Re: New ADSM Implementation
From: "David M. Hendrix" <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 09:25:30 -0500
Please define "sharing".  We share 3494s for multiple servers.  We are just
now building a complex with 6 Sun 6500s and 1 3494 with 16 3590s.  4 of the
6500s will have ADSM servers on them and we'll attach via FC to 2 EB-5000s
and then onto FC/SCSI bridges.  I've tested 3.7.2.40 fixtest code drive
sharing using SCSI attached devices in this environment.  It worked quite
well (much better than 3.1.2.40 or 3.7.2 which didn't work at all).  We'll
begin at 1.8TB per night and grow to double that in one year.  I expect the
sharing to work quite well and allow quick backup of each individual
server.  We use Autosys scheduling and that helps with sequencing and
dependencies between backup sessions.

Closer to your home, we have 2 E10Ks with 5 domains each.  We'll bring in 2
of those domains into the switch attached storage sometime late summer.  We
expect drive sharing across fibre for these Sun boxes to maximize our
investment in that 3494 and the 3590s.  Based on our experiences here with
that system we'll begin deploying more FC attached tape devices and
consolidate resources, depending heavily on drive sharing between servers.

All of my FC to SCSI via switch testing on Sun was done on the E10K.  I
expect the 6500s to have no problems.

David Hendrix
dmhendri AT fedex DOT com

PS BTW, for the other thread about # admins, we have 26 ADSM servers, about
600 large server "clients" and we do about 3.5TB per night.  Since my group
supports many other things, each person probably devotes 50% of their time
at best to ADSM.  I'd say we have approx 3 admins out of the 5 people in
the group that support ADSM.  So about 8:1 (server:admin).

james Healy <bkupmstr AT YAHOO DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 05/04/2000 06:41:01 AM