ADSM-L

Re: how many admins per client occupancy size, db size, servers a nd or terabytes storage

2000-05-03 15:36:15
Subject: Re: how many admins per client occupancy size, db size, servers a nd or terabytes storage
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 15:36:15 -0400
Lisa,

We have 3 independent ADSM AIX servers (3 physically separate networks).
We move about 75 GB per day; have 6 TB stored on tape; 600+ clients.

We have 1.25 ADSM administrators, plus another person trained to back us up
in case we both get hit by a bus.

Plus, the desktop support group that  supports all other desktop
applications (windows, mail, Word, Excel, etc.) are first level support for
desktop users with ADSM client questions and/or hard drive failures.  They
also have domain authority to register desktop clients, set passwords, etc.
I am "level 2" support for them if they run into a problem they can't
handle.

Administrators of AIX and NT servers are responsible for installing and
supporting the ADSM client code on the machines they own.  I generally train
them 1-on-1, which isn't too much trouble since they end up supporting
multiple machines.  I am then "level 2" support for them if they run into a
problem they can't handle.

If we had not "outsourced" the client-end support in this way, we would need
a LOT more ADSM admins to manage 600+ clients.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert