ADSM-L

Re: backup to tape

2000-05-03 14:58:51
Subject: Re: backup to tape
From: Joel Fuhrman <joelf AT CAC.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 11:58:51 -0700
You had to tell TSM the storage pool type when you defined it. What did you
use? A QUERY STG TAPEDATA F=D will tell the storage pool type.  To backup
directly to tape (assuming thats what you are trying to accomplish) it must
be a primary pool.  If your trying to backup up your primary DISK pool to
tape then you have 2 choices.  Choice 1) define the primary storage pool
TAPEDATA as the next storage pool for your DISK pool. Then use the HI and LO
migragtion values to control movement of data to the tapes.  Choice 2)
define TAPEDATA as a copy storage pool and then use the command BACKUP
STGPOOL <disk_pool_name> TAPEDATA command.

You need to spend time with the manuals.  TSM is too flexable (aka
complicated) to be used "out of the box" with out doing some home work.
You will need the Adiministrator's Guide and the Administrator's Reference
along with the Getting Started Redbook.