ADSM-L

Re: Failed / Missed backups.

2000-05-02 13:00:11
Subject: Re: Failed / Missed backups.
From: John Monahan <JohnMonahan AT LIBERTYDIVERSIFIED DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 12:00:11 -0500
As far as automatically restarting the client end, I think you are stuck
with using some type of 3rd party utility, or writing one yourself.  I know
there are plenty of service monitors for NT which will automatically
restart a service if it is stopped or goes to a failed status.  Not sure
about the other platforms you have.  I use Tivoli IT Director to monitor
and automatically restart the *SM Scheduler service on all my NT clients if
it stops or fails.  Came in handy when I had the client software version
that was prone to Dr Watsons.

John Monahan
Network Administrator
Liberty Diversified Industries
(763) 536-6677

                    Brian Nick
                    <BRIAN_NICK@P        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    HL.COM>              cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: Failed / Missed
backups.
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    05/02/2000
                    09:32 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Thanks for the info Wanda,

    Sounds like you are doing the same thing that I am doing, sending an
e-mail with a list of the 'failed' or 'Missed' backups to the interested
parties.  What I was hoping for was an automatic restart from the client
end. I understand that this may not be a realistic request at this time.
Thanks again for the reply.

Brian