ADSM-L

Re: Expire Inventory problem !! Help please !!

2000-05-02 11:54:26
Subject: Re: Expire Inventory problem !! Help please !!
From: Matthew Stansel <Matthew.Stansel AT YALE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 11:54:26 -0400
Joyce,

Assuming you have ADSM tech support, you can contact them to correct this
problem
fairly easily. Depending on the extent of the "damage" it may take a bit of
time to
correct. Essentially, what has happened is that an aggregated set (many files
associated with one file) has most likely been "spanned" over two tape volumes.
The
volume containing the actual aggregate file(tag or pointer file) has been
reclaimed/deleted or otherwise removed from an active storage pool. This has
caused
the remaining files, in the aggregate set, to be "orphaned", thus the DB does
not
contain adequate information or meta-data for the remaining files in the
aggregate
set and therefore expiration for those files cannot complete successfully. My
experience with this problem was rather quickly rectified by an ADSM technician
who
walked me through manual edits of the DB. Basically, we were able to find the
aggregate set and delete the orphaned file references. Once that was done the
problem was solved. It is a straight-forward process so you should be able to
get
back to full functionality rather quickly with the assistance of an ADSM tech.

Good Luck.
Matthew Stansel