ADSM-L

Re: Size of the database

2000-05-02 11:38:37
Subject: Re: Size of the database
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 11:38:37 -0400
There was a discussion of this topic several months ago; I recall some
people saying they had seen a recommendation from IBM that the "practical"
limit is between 16-17 GB.

However, you will find many sites out there running substantially larger
data bases with no problem.  I think what you can tolerate will depend a
great deal on your operating system platform and your underlying hardware
configuration.

There are other issues besides size.  For example, in an OS/390 system you
generally have other large applications that compete with ADSM for
throughput in the I/O subsystem; on an ADSM NT server you may have trouble
pushing as much I/O as on an AIX server of comparable CPU power.  In all
cases, it depends on how well your I/O subsystem is tuned.   I've found it
more important to plan for a growth path that increases I/O throughput than
to increase processor speed.

Most people find that when their data base grows too much (i.e., too large
for the hardware/software), expiration processing becomes difficult, other
large and long-running commands such as SQL queries bog down.  You also need
to consider the question, what if your data base died and you had to restore
it?  How long an outage can your tolerate?  (And do you know how to recover
it?)

Hope that helps.
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert