ADSM-L

Re: Incremental Forever

2000-05-02 02:36:15
Subject: Re: Incremental Forever
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 08:36:15 +0200
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned collocation yet.

Periodic full backups do a nice job of making sure your files are concentrated
on a
few tapes, not spread out over lots of nightly tapes, on an old-style backup
system
like VM:Backup.

ADSM doesn't do that, but if you want to group your files as tightly as
possible to
speed restores, use collocation; files (or, more generically, objects) for a
node
are kept on the same tape or set of tapes as much as possible.

Remember, objects being backed up are typically cached in disk storage first, so
the client never sees a delay waiting for "its" tape to be mounted, assuming an
adequately sized disk storage pool. TSM then periodically unloads the objects
from
the disk pool onto the appropriate tapes if collocation is on or onto as few
tapes
as possible if collocation isn't being used.

I've worked with lots of clients who are too used to old-style backup systems
and
need to adjust their paradigm for TSM/ADSM. RTFM really does help in this case,
starting with the Guides, not the References, or some good user group papers,
like
the talks given at SHARE. Everything you're worried about is there; sometimes
you
have to figure out how to ask for it.

Which is one more reason ADSM-L is here, too. :-) :-)

Nick Laflamme
Dimension Enterprises
A Nortel Networks' Global Professional Services Company