ADSM-L

Re: Failed / Missed backups.

2000-05-01 11:26:29
Subject: Re: Failed / Missed backups.
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 10:26:29 -0500
OK, in my eyes "failed" means more items to add to the "exclude" statements
and "missed" means they (client node admins) need to start (restart) their
scheduler.
I look at this whole environment like banks... I have 12 data banks, if
clients wish to make deposits they may, if they wish to allow others to make
withdrawals they may... if they don't make any deposits and they get robbed
it is not my problem !
I can notify them if something funny went on for a given day with their
deposit, other than that it is in their area and up to them on what they
want to do.

When we register a node we put a mail id in the "contact" field... we have a
job that runs and gets exceptions to the previous day's scheduled events, we
then pull the contact info associated with the node(s) listed and mail that
id a message listing their failed event.  That is about all that can be done
from the server side.  The client then has to check out their own
environment.  Believe me you don't want to get into the business of tracking
down problems on 130 different clients (which are probably 10 different
platforms)

Well, there are my thoughts on things.

Dwight