ADSM-L

Re: LTO Ultrium

2000-04-26 14:55:49
Subject: Re: LTO Ultrium
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:55:49 -5
Interesting Article, thanks for posting it!

On 25 Apr 2000, at 11:30, ADSM: Dist Stor Manager wrote:
> Es a 42 MB per second data transfer rate. So the 3590s will still
> be able to best the Ultriums on intensive read-write
> workloads and on raw speed, since the Ultriums will have
> only 2:1 data compression and will only be able to move
> compressed data at 30 MB per second.

It's my understanding that the LTO drives are strictly streaming
devices.  One person I've talked with indicated that LTO will be very
fast, if you can supply the data. If not, you will be very
disappointed in it's performance. If the drive has to back-hitch,
performance will be severely affected.  From what I've read, IBM
claims that Magstar drives back-hitch much faster than any streaming
tape drive.

Thoughts?

> The Anaconda tape library, which IBM is just starting to
> show customers, has a 280-cartridge capacity and supports
> multiple Ultrium LTO tape decks. That's about 28 TB of

How long does it typically take IBM to provide *SM support for new
tape drives and libraries?

Rick