ADSM-L

Brain-dead UPDATE DEVCLASS

2000-04-24 14:29:11
Subject: Brain-dead UPDATE DEVCLASS
From: Zoltan Forray <ZForray AT SATURN.VCU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 14:29:11 -0400
What give with the UPDATE DEVCLASS command ?  (OS/390 V2.5  - ADSM
V3.1.2.50)

I tried to issue the command UPDATE DEVCLASS ADSMSP-COPY MOUNTLIM=2
(currently at 3) and it issues the error: ANR5505E ... MOUNTLIMIT is less
than current number of mounted volumes.

Excuse me, but I only have 4-3590 drives and when I display the drives, only
two are in use / have tapes mounted. No, the other two are not allocated,
either. I also checked Q PROC and the only "other" processes running don't
use tapes in this DEVCLASS.

And why does it issue this stupid message, anyway. Why not simply tell me it
is lower but still allow me to update so it won't mount any more tapes, when
it is finished with the current ones. Why stop me / issue an error ?

This makes automation almost impossible (I have times when there are more
3590's available so I would like to make use of them and speed up ADSM
processing, but need to crank it back down to 1-2 during heavy usage times
!!).

Any suggestions ?