ADSM-L

Re: nt box rebooting during backup

2000-04-13 23:30:56
Subject: Re: nt box rebooting during backup
From: Len Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 23:30:56 EDT
In article <DB62908E2717D21197E100805F8BF685010E9566@UUG-RES-MP03>, "Bates,
Richard" <Richard.Bates AT VERTEX.CO DOT UK> says:

>One of our NT guys is telling me that his Compaq Proliant 3000 (Nt 4 SP 4)
>has started rebooting during scheduled backups.  It appears that the
>scheduled backup starts at 22:00.  After inspecting 16500 files the box
>reboots.  The schedule is picked up again and restarted.  This repeats until
>
>Has anyone seen this before.  Any ideas?
>
>Richard.

>Technical Services (ADSM) - Dawson House
>Int: 33298  Ext: (44) 1925 233298  Mob: 0961 146738
0==========================================

A program such as adsm/tsm should not be able to cause nt to crash.
So most likely it is tripping over a filesystem problem, just because
it touches everything in the filesystem.
You might want to check the dsmsched.log and dsmerror.log to try
to see if you can find the name of the file that the program was
working on when the crash occurred. most likely trying to open that
file with a program such as notepad will cause the crash.
We had a problem like this when we first tried backing up the mvs
hfs.

If you can tell where the problem lies in the filesystem, you can
try to exclude that part of the file system and backup up the
balance of the data. Then try running chkdsk on the filesystem.
Or some other ntfs checking/repair utility.
Good luck and let us know how things work out.
len boyle