ADSM-L

Re: Is it Possible????

2000-04-11 17:00:11
Subject: Re: Is it Possible????
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 16:00:11 -0500
Jamie,

"CAN YOU SHARE A TAPE LIBRARY WITH TWO STORAGE POOLS AND DISTINGUISH BETWEEN
DIFFERENT VOLUMES?"

We do exactly that.

We have a 3570 set up as a single library.  We defined two primary tape storage
pools on top of it.  ADSM tracks volumes by pool membership, so when either pool
needs a scratch volume, it asks the library for a tape from the library's supply
of scratch tapes.  Then ADSM places that tape, by name, in the pool that issued
the request.  We then pull tapes using the Move Media command keyed by storage
pool.  ADSM has never confused volumes in the two pools.  Works aces.

Now if you want to route data onto a particular tape, that is a bit at odds with
ADSM's philosophy (you're working for the machine rather than vice versa) but I,
too have had limited need to do that.  My technique is to checkout (but not
remove) all but the target volume, let the job run - which MUST use the
remaining tape, pull that tape at the job's conclusion, and check the other
tapes back in.  Ugly, and I'm glad there's only 19 tapes and I only have to do
that once a year.

Tab

Jamie Mouzon <jmouzon AT YAHOO DOT COM> on 04/11/2000 03:24:18 PM