ADSM-L

Disaster Recovery scenario

2000-04-11 11:34:41
Subject: Disaster Recovery scenario
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 11:34:41 -0400
> Our Security Administrator is working on various schemes for recovering
> from a 'total' disaster, i.e the physical loss of the data center (fire,
> bomb, flood, etc). He wants to know if it would be possible, using ADSM, to
> restore the contents of three separate AIX servers into one piece of
> hardware, different from the originals.

Since I sent my previous note, it occured to me that I missed a whole set of
potential problems with user administration:
1.Do the three systems have any conflicting assignments of user names?
2.Do the three systems have any conflicting assignments of user and group
numbers?
3.Can the owners of the three systems agree on a common policy regarding which
people have access to root privilege?
4.Can the owners of the three systems agree on a common policy regarding which
people have access to non-root user IDs with special privileges (IDs used to
administer databases, for example)?
5.Can the owners of the three systems agree on a common policy regarding which
people can get ordinary user accounts (for example, can they all agree on
including or excluding undergraduate students)?