ADSM-L

Space Problems

2000-04-10 03:58:24
Subject: Space Problems
From: "Burns, Kye" <Krburns AT FIRSTAM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 00:58:24 -0700
Hello *SM'ers,
I queried the activity log and came up with the error below. Our SSA drawers
for the hard disks were recently reconfigured which lowered our Database
Utilization to a lower level around 67% from a prior level of 83%.

04/09/00 00:18:48 ANR0406I Session 11460 started for node CWS1 (AIX) (Tcp/Ip
172.29.3.50(65076)).
04/09/00 04:18:45 ANR0534W Transaction failed for session 11460 for node
CWS1 (AIX) - size estimate exceeded and server is unable to obtain
additional space in storage pool AIX_DISK.

Here is the Error message for AIX_DISK issue:
ANR0534W Transaction failed for session session number for node node name
(client platform) - size estimate exceeded and server is unable to obtain
additional space in storage pool pool name.
Explanation: The server ends a database update transaction for the specified
session because the size estimate provided by the client is too small. The
server has attempted to obtain additional space in the indicated storage
pool, but was unable to do so.
System Action: The specified session is ended and server operation
continues.
User Response: This message may indicate that there is no additional space
in pool name. If that is the case, an authorized administrator can issue the
DEFINE VOLUME command to add storage this pool.
If pool name is a random access storage pool with caching enabled, it is
also possible that additional space can be made available in this storage
pool by eliminating cached files. When the server allocates space based on
the size estimate provided by the client, it frees space occupied by cached
files if this space is needed to obtain the estimated space. However, if the
server later determines that the file size estimate was too low, it attempts
to obtain additional space that is not utilized, but does not delete cached
files to do so. If you believe that pool name contains additional space
occupied by cached files, you can turn caching off. To free space that is
already occupied by cached files, use the MOVE DATA command for the volumes
in pool name.

In the sequential access storage pool STK_AIX_TAPE there are four tapes in
this pool which are filling, however the rest of the 10 tapes in this
secondary pool show a full status. This is an observation on my part and HSM
(Hierarchy Storage Management) will look to the next stgpool to store data.
No caching is enabled. Any suggestions? From Kye Burns.

 <<...>>