ADSM-L

Re: Opening a can of worms.

2000-04-07 16:27:03
Subject: Re: Opening a can of worms.
From: Lindsay Morris <lmorris AT OPENMIC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 16:27:03 -0400
What a good question.

The best I can come up with for answers are:

1. Tivoli Data Protection for Workgroups.  A future release will
actually store the data on the TSM server; for now, it uses a local tape
drive. (I know, that's crummy. You asked, though...)  The restore
procedurtes are supposed to fit on a Post-it note.  Haven't actually
used it myself.

2. Symantec Ghost.  if you make a generic image of an NT naked install
with TSM client, you should be able to boot this up quickly, then
restore from TSM.  But you still have the "can't restore onto running
partition" problem which I guess is mainly what you're trying to avoid.

3. Read  Redbook SG24-2231, Windows NT Backup and Recovery with ADSM.
Chapters 3 and 4 lay out a scheme for booting a dead NT box from a
portable CDROM or Jaz drive.  Then NT is running off *that* partition
(the portable), and you can immediately restore onto the real
partition.  (but if you restore onto different hardware, be careful that
TSM doesn't restore the hardware-specific part of the registry from the
old machine!)

If you find a better way, PLEASE post it!  I've seen organizations where
TSM got a bad black eye because the NT admins didn't understand this
problem.

--
Mr. Lindsay Morris
Mr. Lindsay Morris