ADSM-L

Opening a can of worms.

2000-04-07 15:43:44
Subject: Opening a can of worms.
From: Gary Bowers <gbowers AT ITRUS DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:43:44 -0500
Ok,

Let me just start by saying that I have read the discussions on this, but I
wanted to see if there was any new information on this.

What is the EASIEST way to restore NT clients in a disaster recovery
situation, apart from restoring to an identical machine.

I have heard talk of restoring onto a running version of windows, and I have
also heard that you have to install to alternate partions, and some say to
just another directory.

I still say that there has to be an easier way.

I am an AIX person, so forgive my ignorance on NT, but is there not an
equivalent of NIM on NT that I could network boot a bunch of clients on to
do the initial install that already has the ADSM client code in it?

Given that could I not then just restore everything but the registry back to
the clients, then restore the registry to a different location.  Then I
could kick off a script that would copy over all of the registry info except
for system.

Maybe I am grossly underestimating the task, but there has got to be a more
OPERATOR FRIENDLY       approach to this.

I don't want my operators to have to follow that convoluted structure of
restore proceedures.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Gary Bowers
Itrus Technologies Inc.