ADSM-L

Re: HSM not migrating

2000-04-07 04:59:30
Subject: Re: HSM not migrating
From: Henk ten Have <hthta AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:59:30 +0200
On 07-Apr-00 Gerrit van Zyl wrote:
> Reinhard,
>
> I had a look:
>
> 1.  No errors in the AIX errorlog.
> 2.  No, I do not catch HSM error messages with the ERRORPROG option.  How do
> you use this?
> 3.  Dsmmonitord is running.
> 4.  This is a huge filesystem, and no, it is impossible that all of the files
> have been accessed.
> 5.  Dsmreconcile gives the following:
> f03n13sw / # dsmreconcile -c /R3_data
> ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
> space management Interface - Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.7
> (C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1999. All Rights Reserved.
>

> Reconciling '/R3_data' file system:
>   Querying the ADSM server for a list of backed up files...
>          Received 705752 entries
>   Now traversing the file system...
>   Writing the new migration candidates list...
>          Note: unable to find any candidates in the file system.
> ANS9250I File system '/R3_data' reconciliation completed.
>
> 6.  I am able to manually migrate files.
> 7.  Set the quota (e.g. "dsmmigfs update /R3_data -Quota=1024G"
>      you do allow 1 TB from this filesystem to be migrated, don't you?)
>      What do you mean with this?
>
> Thanks for all the ideas and help thus far.
>
> Regards
> GErrit

  Gerrit,

  did you look at the first entry of the candidatelist? I found three years ago
  a giant bug in the HSM-processing. If the first entry of the
  candidatelist was a 'bad entry', HSM-processing stopped, without given any
  error- or warning message (which, btw, HSM-processing still doesn't do, even
  after 3 years and many releases later...).
  That 'bad entry' arised when there was some silly control character in the
  file name. To make it clear to IBM I just put the string "HSM will stop now"
  as the first "filename" into the candidate-list. And indeed, HSM did
  stopped...
  This was a bug in version 2, but as we all knows, sometimes 'old' bugs come
  back the moment you don't expect them....

  Cheers,
  Henk ten Have.

  PS. This problem doesn't exist at 3.1.2.40, I just tested it, but I'm not
      sure about 3.1.2.50....