ADSM-L

How do hsm and backup relate?

2000-04-06 09:57:37
Subject: How do hsm and backup relate?
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 08:57:37 -5
As part of our investigation into *sm,  I've started looking at HSM
for AIX.  We have a small number of filesystems where HSM would be
very beneficial.

So, I downloaded the HSM manual from Tivoli's web site, printed it
out and skimmed through it. It answered almost all of my questions.
Where it wasn't very clear is in how migration and backup relate,
especially in relation to a copy pool.

I'm going to try and lay out my questions.  Please forgive me if I
get the terminology wrong or if I'm not very clear - this would
simply reflect my state of mind.

Question 1:

This is my main question, and I think it something like this:  How
many copies of the data do I have/need if I use HSM on a filesystem,
backup that filesystem and want an offsite copy?  I see it like this:

data copy 1:  files migrated to the migration management class. (Yes,
I know this doesn't included the non-migraded files.  So it's not
really a copy of the data.)

data copy 2:  files backed up to a backup management class.

data copy 3:  file in the copy storage pool (offsite tapes) defined
in the backup management class.

Is this how HSM is used?

Is there any way for backup and migration to share the same
management class and thus only have 2 copies of the data?  This would
mean that the current backup copy is also the pre-migrated/migrated
copy.

Questions 2:

I understand that the HSM client doesn't support the TSM 3.7 AIX
client (you have to use the older 3.something client). Has anyone
heard when this will be supported?

Question 3:

How is HSM licensed?  I've asked our local IBM people this, but they
don't seem to know.  I know there's a TSM server charge, but I can't
find out if there's also a per client charge.

Thanks!

Rick