ADSM-L

Storage Pool Cache is Out of Storage During Backup

2015-10-04 17:31:35
Subject: Storage Pool Cache is Out of Storage During Backup
From: Oliver Janzen [SMTP:OJANZEN AT DE.IBM DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi *SMers,

Maybe anyone has got an idea/solution to the following problem:
(Server 3.1.2.50    on AIX 4.3.2
Client 3.1.0.6 on NT 4.0 SP 3)

We=B4ve a storage pool with caching enabled. This storage pool has
a PCT_UTIL of 99,9 %, which is normal after a much Backup-cycles,
since PCT_UTIL includes the cached copies. (Nevertheless, the data
are migrated each morning.)

When performing incremental backups of our clients some (mainly big)
files are not backuped because of the following error message:
ANR0534W Transaction failed for session ...
              <Client_name> - size estimate exceeded and server is =
unable
              obtain additional space in storage pool <stgpool_name>

The reason is - as I understood - that ADSM frees
only that amount of space on the disks (deletes cached files)
what it estimated for the file. If it underestimated the space needed,
it looks for more free space in the stgpool, but can not free more
space by deleting cached files.

Does anyone of you know about a solution?
Is there any option or any fix which optimizes the estimation =
procedure?
Or any option to keep a distinct amount of the storage pool real free =
(not
used
with cached files?)
Maybe setting a retry for the backup of such failed files?

The problem is that the files are really not backed up.

Kindly regards, Oliver Janzen.