ADSM-L

RECLAM storage for 1 driver reclaims is weird.

2000-03-30 20:37:32
Subject: RECLAM storage for 1 driver reclaims is weird.
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:37:32 -0800
I've called this in to IBM support but wondered if anyone else has seen
this.

I am using a 1 drive reclamation setup as described in the books
on a 3.1.2-20 system and it has one near fatal flaw:
the MIGR (Migratable) percentage goes to 100 right away.
This causes the system to try migrating the FILE space
way before the tape had been completely dumped . I have
a space as large as a tape (15GB).  and I'd like it to
wait until it reaches true 100% before dumping all
back to the primary storage pool its come from.

Is this a defect or have I got something wrong?
I tried setting EST CAP but it stays at 0 until
the process starts then it shows the true disk
size of 15GB.

When I say its sometimes near fatal what I mean is that
it tries to run two processes , one in each direction
tape to disk and disk to tape and in doing so tries
to mount the same tape and disk-FILE for both processes.
Every once in a while one process gets the tape and waits
on the disk-FILE and the other gets the disk-File and
waits on the tape and it stays like that til the mount
time limits cause it to fail or I see it and cancel one.

hit or a miss?  is it my setuup that missing something
or is this a defect in 3.1.2.20?

thanks ... joe.f.

Joseph A Faracchio,  Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley