ADSM-L

Re: Netware long file name restores

2000-03-30 05:23:05
Subject: Re: Netware long file name restores
From: Mike Hedden <Mike_Hedden AT FPL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 05:23:05 -0500
We have experienced the same problem when using the 'fromnode' parameter on
Novell.   This is the last information I had on this issue.

   Novell NetWare has the ability to associate namespace's with
   files and directories.  This include DOS, LONG, NFS and MAC for
   example.   As a result a NetWare client, lets say Windows 95,
   could create a file with a long name.  If using the NWAdmin
   tools associated with NetWare you can see that the file would
   have both a DOS and LONG name associated with it.   ADSM backs
   up and Restores files and directories by reference of the DOS
   name only.  This means a file know to Windows 95 as
   'This is a long name' would be identified with a DOS name of
   'Thisisal'.  When ADSM back's up the file we will associate this
   DOS name with the file as it is stored in the ADSM Server data
   base.  This does not mean that ADSM does not backup the LONG
   name associated with the file.   ADSM uses the TSA/SMS interface
   to ask NetWare for the file data.  This is provided to ADSM in
   the form of a SIDF buffer.  In this buffer is information which
   contains Trustee Rights, Namespace, file data, etc.  All the
   information NetWare has about a file.   This SIDF buffer is
   stored on the ADSM Server when backing up a file or directory.

   If the following conditions are met on a restore ADSM will
   pass the SIDF buffer back to NetWare via the TSA / SMS interface
   and all the trustee rights, namespace support and file data, etc
   will be restored:

   1) The associated namespace must be installed.
   2) The file or directory must be restored to the same location
      where it was backed up from.

   If the above conditions are not meet then the file data will
   be restored and the DOS name will be used for the file or
   directory.  But all other information will be lost.