ADSM-L

What effect does time have on restores?

2000-03-28 09:11:59
Subject: What effect does time have on restores?
From: Kyle Payne <payne AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:11:59 -0600
All,
        Right now I have been running many tests with TSM 3.7.2 Server running
on
NT and TSM 3.7.1 client running on NT.  The client has 271 GB made up of
over 2 million small files.

        I ran a number of backups both to tape (9840) and disk.  Just after each
backup I ran a restore.  The restore times where very close to 14 and 1/2
hours each, whether from disk or tape.  This gave me an average          time of
18.6 GB/hr.

        Here is where my question comes in.  Right now I get 18.6 GB/hr when a
restore is run after one full backup.  Will my time/performance degrade
after I have been running incrementals over a period of time.  The thought
is that a restore right after a full can just grab all the data in a stream
and send it to the server.  Where as a restore after many incrementals has
data spread out over the tape more and will do more start and stop
processing.  Will this happen, or is TSM not really effected.  Note that the
tape stg pool is and will be collocated by node.

Thanks,
        Kyle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kyle Payne
Berbee Information Networks Corp.
4000 W. Spencer Street
Appleton WI, 54914
payne AT berbee DOT com        - e-mail
pgpayne AT berbee DOT com      - pager e-mail
(920) 586-3014  - pager
(920) 450-0413  - cell
(920) 996-3107  - work