ADSM-L

RMAN managing ACTIVE/INACTIVE Backupsets/pieces

2015-10-04 17:32:30
Subject: RMAN managing ACTIVE/INACTIVE Backupsets/pieces
From: Mark Owens [SMTP:Mark_Owens AT PRODIGY DOT NET]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
AIX Server : TSM 3.7.2
API Client   :          3.7.0
TSM Client :           3.7.1
TDP for Oracle :     PTF IP21890
Oracle              :    8.0.5
AIX                  :    4.3.2

All,

When TSM 3.7 & TDP for Oracle work ideally, the ACTIVE versions of the
bk_xxx_x_xxxxxxxxx and al_xxx_x_xxxxxxxxxx reside in the TSM DB until
a RMAN delete is performed via the API. When the API call completes the
applicable backups and archive logs are marked INACTIVE and thus ready for
EXPIRE INVENTORY processing.

Here's the but..........

when (for a variety of issues) a TSM api error occurs (maybe the aobpswd
password was changed.... or
something else.....) and the TSM portion of the
handshake fails....... we've discovered that RMAN could care less about
TSM and continues to perform the deletion in Oracle while the TSM DB
still reflects the bk's & al's are ACTIVE. I haven't found a way to reapply
the RMAN delete to clean-up the TSM side.

To the best of my knowledge, the API must be used to INACTIVE. There
is no TSM administrative backdoor.

Has anyone else found a work around to tell Oracle to re-delete so the API
will come to life and INACTivate the bk's & al's on the TSM side?