ADSM-L

Re: Question on updating copygroups mid-stream

2000-03-23 13:04:50
Subject: Re: Question on updating copygroups mid-stream
From: Gary Ison <Gary.Ison AT MAIL.STATE.KY DOT US>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:04:50 -0500
Bernard,

        The data should reside in the old copy group until it expires.  The
new copy group storage pool is probably backed up to a different copy pool.
If you are making automatic copies (schedule "ba stg primary-pool
copy-pool"), the data will wind up in the new copy pool.  The backup,
scheduled or manual, may move the data to the new pool, including the old
copy pool data.

        The trick to watch out for here is the device class.  If they
differ, the old device class volume will be used for reclamation and
movement functions.  That means you will have to delete the old device class
copy pool to recover the volumes.  That may mean a loss of historical
versions.

        I haven't researched this issue in depth, as you can tell from the
"may" verbiage.  I'm probably looking at doing a similar process in the near
future to move from 3490 volumes to 3590s.  I would have to define new copy
groups and storage pools to point to a new 3590 device class and point the
clients that way instead of their current 3490 device copy groups.

        Gary L. Ison
        Governor's Office for Technology
        101 Cold Harbor Drive
        Frankfort, Ky.   40601
        Phone:  (502) 564-8724
            Fax:  (502) 564-6856
E-mail: Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky DOT us <mailto:Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky
DOT us>