ADSM-L

Defragment Client Files

2000-03-20 05:12:20
Subject: Defragment Client Files
From: Michael Fink <Michael.Fink AT UIBK.AC DOT AT>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 11:12:20 +0100
Hello,

Is there any experience in using a (large) disk storage pool
as a "RECLAIMSTGpool" with the purpose of defragmenting
client data on non-collocated tape storage pools in a busy
multi-drive configuration?

I assume that data which has been reclaimed to disk is migrated
by the same criteria as data that was sent to disk by the client.
This would make reclaiming to disk an ideal (and automatic) method
to defragment client data: if tapes contain only small amounts of
data for a given client, this data is collected on disk and migrated
in one big chunk.

The manual recommends setting RECLAIMSTGpool=disk... only for single
drive configurations, but I wonder why? Am I missing an important
point?

Sincerely, Michael Fink
University of Innsbruck