ADSM-L

Windows NT restore problem

2000-03-16 11:07:46
Subject: Windows NT restore problem
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:07:46 -0500
We have run into a problem involving two Windows NT systems, both using the
3.1.0.6 client software. We have issued 'set access' commands on the first
system authorizing the second system to restore files from specific
directories and directories below them in the directory tree. When we attempt
to restore the files on the second system using the GUI client, about two
thirds of the expected files are restored before the client software displays
message ANS1353E and stops restoring files. At that point the ADSM server log
displays a series of ANE... messages reporting summary statistics such as the
number of files restored. As far as I can tell, these are the same messages
that would be displayed if a restore completed successfully. The session
involved continues. The on-line documentation for the message is reproduced
below:

ANS1353E Session rejected: Unknown or incorrect ID entered.

Explanation: The node name you entered is not known by the server, or you
are attempting to access a file migrated to a different node.

System Action: ADSM canceled the current operation. You are not allowed to
connect to the server until your node name is registered with the server. If
attempting to access a migrated file, your nodename must be the same node
which migrated the file.

User Response: Ensure that you entered your ADSM node name correctly. If
yes, see your system administrator. Verify that the server is using closed
registration and that your node name is registered with the server.

I cannot find any messages in the server log indicating that an unregistered
client attempted to start a session. To the best of my knowledge, we are not
using any sort of HSM product on either of the Windows NT systems involved. In
short, neither of the possible causes listed in the documentation seems at all
plausible. Does anyone know what the real problem is?

As a matter of morbid curiosity, can anyone explain the thought process that
led to issuing the same message for the two problems mentioned in the
explanation of the message?