ADSM-L

Re: Database growing too fast !!!

2000-03-15 14:17:07
Subject: Re: Database growing too fast !!!
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:17:07 -0600
OK, now it really isn't duplicate files that the client can see...
these are all internal to adsm entries !
when adsm archives a file it was thought wise to archive the directory under
which it resides for all that misc junk found there (permissions, etc...)
what was done was to archive the directory under the longest retention
archive management class which existed within the domain for that client.
If you archived a million files from a single directory, that directory was
also archived (in the longest retention  mgmtclass) a million times !
If your longest retention archive mgmt was say 10 years but you archived
those files daily with a 7 day retention, things get ugly real fast...
the files that get cleaned up are not seen by the client... no query archive
from the client will show them...
you will notice on the accounting records when you archive a single file
there will be 2 items archived...
If you use a "show archive" debug command you can see these entries but you
can't do a delete archive from the client ('cause the client just isn't
allowed to see them, which goes back to that adsm internal thing...)

So where "removing duplicate archived files" is being used freely here to
describe things... NO client files are being removed...
if you have requested an archive of a file 50 times a day and the file never
changes... you will still have all those different archived versions
('cause actually they are not duplicates... they are individually requested
archives)
Only the internal overhead archives are removed.

Just thought I'd mention this...

later,
    Dwight