ADSM-L

Re: Internal system error

2000-03-10 08:06:31
Subject: Re: Internal system error
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:06:31 -0500
>I have been attempting to restore selected files from a production system to a
>test system. I start the GUI client with the -virtualnodename option, select a
>mount point directory, de-select some of its subdirectories, and request that
>the selected files be restored to a different mount point directory on the
>test system. Both systems are HP-UX 10.20 and both have the 3.1.0.6 client
>03/07/00   15:11:50 TransErrno: Unexpected error from open, errno = 22

Thomas - The Restore is probably trying to restore something that the client
         should not have backed up in the first place, in that the operating
system may not support its recreation in a restoral.  This might happen if
the client code is schizophrenic, or the file system was backed up with an
older version of the client which thought it could handle certain objects,
and the newer client doing the restore blithely tries to restore what it
itself would not try to back up.  The early v3 code, for example, thought it
could handle sockets, but that was removed from some clients, as evidenced
in this from the AIX 3.1.0.7 README...

The following text in the Using the UNIX Backup-Archive Clients book,
  "Restoring Files and Directories" section:

    UNIX special files like socket files are backed up and restored with
    ADSM Version 3 UNIX clients. The AIX 4.2 and HP-UX operating systems
    will core dump when socket files are restored, so ADSM will now skip
    the restore of those files on those clients.

  was changed to the following:

    UNIX socket files are skipped during restore, this includes any socket
    files that were backed up with earlier versions of ADSM.

  The following text was added to the "Backing Up Files and Directories"
  section:

    UNIX socket files are skipped during backup.

See APAR IX80646, which addresses the symptoms you are experiencing.
HP, like IRIX, is further out in the solar system of *SM clients, and it takes
supply ships longer to get there with fixes.

        Richard Sims, BU