ADSM-L

Re: DFS bak and buta utilities

2000-03-09 13:41:13
Subject: Re: DFS bak and buta utilities
From: "Matthew A. Bacchi" <mbacchi AT BTV.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 13:41:13 -0500
1. Yes you still want to make backups of your BAK database.  Whether or not
you use the "savedb" command today for this purpose, you will not have the
ability to use that if you move to buta versus butc.

2. We do it with an actual ADSM backup today.  We backup the fldb servers and
include the /var/dce/dfs/backup directories, which gets the bkdb files, and we
bind them to a copy group that keeps them for 186 days(i.e the versions data
exists is set to 186, and retain extra is set to NO LIMIT).  This allows us to
restore a fileset for up to 6 months back.

Any other questions feel free to write me directly.

-Matt
> Hi All,
> Hi All,
>
>      Can anyone help me esteemed colleage with the questions below
> concerning backing up DFS filesets via buta?
>
> Please be sure to include Stephen on any replys:
>
> >   I have a couple of questions about the ASDM buta utility for DFS.
> >
> > 1.  Does the "bak" database still need to be backed up, or is all the needed
> > backup information recorded on the ADSM server?  (This implies that during
> > disaster recovery, we don't have to worry about reloading the bak server's
> > database ("bak restoredb") before doing "bak restoredisk" commands.)
> >
> > 2.  If the "bak" database does need to be backed up, how should we do
> > that?
>
> TIA!
>
> Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
> VM Systems Programmer
> UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
> ADSM Administrator
> (tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
> http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)

Matt Bacchi                              mbacchi AT us.ibm DOT com
IBM Global Services                     mbacchi AT btv.ibm DOT com
Dept. F6TG, MD Filesystems/Internet          (802) 769-4072
ADSM & AFS/DFS Backup                        (tie) 446-4072