ADSM-L

Internal system error

2000-03-07 15:52:43
Subject: Internal system error
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:52:43 -0500
I have been attempting to restore selected files from a production system to a
test system. I start the GUI client with the -virtualnodename option, select a
mount point directory, de-select some of its subdirectories, and request that
the selected files be restored to a different mount point directory on the
test system. Both systems are HP-UX 10.20 and both have the 3.1.0.6 client
installed. The /etc/mnttab files on the two systems indicate that both the
original and the target file systems are VXFS file systems. The GUI will
restore some files and then display a dialog box reporting and internal error
and referring the user to dsmerror.log for further information. A typical
dsmerror.log is shown below:

03/07/00   15:11:50 TransErrno: Unexpected error from open, errno = 22
03/07/00   15:11:54 Internal system error
Please check the ADSM Error Log for any additional information

In some cases, the error is from mkdir rather than open. In cases where I have
run more than one test in a day, all the failures resulted in identical
messages, with exactly the same number of files successfully restored before
the failure occurs. Tests run on different days sometimes result in slightly
different messages, as noted above, and consistently restore different numbers
of files before failing. The differences from day to day presumably result
from running incremental backups of the production server. One of our systems
administrators recreated the target file system on different physical disk
space because he suspected disk hardware problems. This change had no effect
on the results of restores. I wondered about corruption of the ADSM software,
and ran Unix sum commands against the dsm and dsmtca binaries on the test
system and on one of our production systems. The checksums matched exactly.
Does anyone have any further ideas for getting to the bottom of this problem?